Right behind our store capability is our transportation network. Reaching across thousands of miles without the benefit of all-weather roads, this complex supply chain requires a management system that is up to the task.
Our recently completed Transportation Management System ("TMS") helps us plan for all Canadian operations while providing case/pallet tracking with “Track and Trace” scanning.
TMS enhances how we move product to our stores in five key ways:
- Transportation: Daily planning enables denser loads and improved routing throughout our network. “Track and Trace” gives us freight visibility from the departure time to receipt at the back door of our stores.
- Carrier Management: In-transit losses are minimized through real-time tracking of shipping times and loads.
- Supplier Management: Increased vendor service level agreements and adherence through better tracking and reporting.
- Store Receiving: Increased order visibility in-transit and scan receipt for all products and materials to enable perpetual store inventory.
- Finance: The cost of freight applied to each item allows for true understanding of product costs.
We anticipate that TMS will be rolled out to all Canadian operations by May 2014. Once deployed, savings from TMS will be reinvested into bringing lower costs to our customers.