Friends of NWC
The North West Company strengthens its ties to the communities where we operate by supporting a diversity of organizations and charities. We are proud to partner with the Canadian and American Diabetes Associations as a charity of choice, along with United Way of Winnipeg, American Muscular Dystrophy Association, multiple Children’s Hospital Foundations across Canada and choice Winnipeg organizations.
Canadian and American Diabetes Association
The Canadian and American Diabetes Associations are the major charities of choice for The North West Company. Over the past 12 years, staff from around the world have united as Team Diabetes raising well over $4.2 million for diabetes research, education and programs. While past proceeds funded research, net proceeds raised by Team Diabetes since 2011, have been directed back to northern communities to implement programs such as the North West Run for Diabetes. Learn more about our partnership with Canadian and American Diabetes Associations.
The North West Company and the United Way have been proud partners for over 20 years. Through the years, The North West Company and our employees have become a pacesetting corporation by greatly increasing both financial aid and volunteer support to the United Way. We have turned the United Way annual Day of Caring into a multi-day company affair, taking on projects for lasting impact. In 2010, we spent five days plowing and planting a garden in a low-income Winnipeg community during Days of Caring. In 2011, we visited a similar housing complex where 150 of The North West Company employees, hauled lumber, soil, mulch and dug in to create two vegetable gardens for the enjoyment of the whole community. And for the 2012 Days of Caring campaign, over 200 kids from across the city participated in exhilarating games and heart-felt camaraderie at the first ever North West Kids Fest. Learn more about our friendship with United Way.
American Muscular Dystrophy Association
The North West Company and the Muscular Dystrophy Association have been working hard since 2009 to enrich the lives of youth with muscular dystrophy. Through several fundraisers such as selling paper shamrocks and fish for a donation, The North West Company has raised over $58,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
The North West Company is committed to the children and youth in the community. The North West Company and Giant Tiger West, a division of The North West Company, have made it their mission to support Children’s Hospitals across Western Canada. Through sponsorship of the Manitoba Teddy Bears Picnic and fundraisers for Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba, Children’s Hospital Foundation of Saskatchewan and the Children’s Stollery Foundation of Alberta, raised over $30,000 annually for sick children.
The North West Company is proud to announce our partnership with YES! Winnipeg. Through this partnership NWC and Yes! Winnipeg help support future job growth and sustainability of our home base operations to continue to bring exceptional service to all of our store communities. YES! Winnipeg is a results focused initiative created through private and public funding to promote, support and expedite successful business development in Winnipeg.
We are proud to supporters of the following Canadian and International organizations:
- United Way of Winnipeg
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Heritage Winnipeg for Upper Fort Garry
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Duke of Edinburugh’s Award Charter for Business - Iqaluit
- Yes! Winnipeg
- Macdonald Youth Services
- Nation Arts Centre – Northern Scene
- Aboriginal Arts Program – Manitoba Theatre for Young People
- BDC E Spirit Conference
- Urban Circle Training Centre – Project Makoonsag
- Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak
- Nishnawbe Aski Nation
- Wii Chiiwakanak Learning Centre
- Manito Ahbee
- APTN Aboriginal Day
- Winnipeg Folk Fest
- Winnipeg Harvest
- Retail Council of Canada
- Misercordia Health Foundation
- St Boniface College
- Centre for Rupert’s Land Studies Endowment Fund
- University of Winnipeg Opportunity Fund
- Manitoba Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Children’s Hospital Foundation of Saskatchewan
- Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Festival Du Voyageur
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada
- American Diabetes Association
- American Muscular Dystrophy
- Inter Cayman Islands Marathon
- Diabetes Association of Barbados
- Girls Scouts of Alaska
- Susitna chapter for Rural Alaska Boy Scouts of America
- Alaska Rural chapter ASAA - Alaska School Activities Fund Vaccinate Alaska Coalition
- Cayman Island Diabetes Association